Thursday, January 19, 2012

Gluten in Cosmetics and Hair Products


After doing further research regarding gluten in hair products and cosmetics, I have learned a few important things since my last post. There have been doctors and gastroenterologists who state that gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin. Many cosmetic and hair product brands also do not clearly state their ingredients on their labels, which makes sense if the gluten in their products won't affect people with an autoimmune disease. There are obvious concerns with lip products, if you lick your lips you can consume the product in small bits at a time, I have written several hair care and cosmetic lines, and about half of the companies respond with clear answers on where their ingredients are derived from.

I also rest completely assured on the subject as I just read an article in Oprah Magazine that a gastroenterologist of the University of California in San Diego said topical products do not affect people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance. My mom and I personally have not experienced any issues using hair products, lotions, or cosmetics that contain gluten. So, enjoy your hair products and makeup (except for maybe lip products with gluten) without the hassle of checking the label!

6 comments:

  1. Although some people are not affected by gluten in products, some can have a skin allergy to wheat and gluten. This is the case for me. I get serious dry skin, sores etc. and if I use any products on my hair that are not gluten free, my scalp will itch for days. Can't remember the technical term for it but it is common in people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that some people have this allergy, are you referring to dermatitis herpetiformis (DH)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I have been debating about this. My doctors all say it's fine and I haven't had any pain but it's good to hear that others don't have issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there, You have done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I'm confident they will be benefited from this web site.
    Dr. Carol's Canine Quantum Cancer Essentials for Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. great writeup. its very informative. :)

    ReplyDelete